Thursday, June 7, 2012

Boy/Girl Divide

The boy and girl divide is so much more than I was expecting here. Not simply within the student community, but the teachers and staff members also create this deep divide between genders. "They just don't really acknowledge us," is how my friend Fumi from Kenya described it. I didn't believe that this could be the absolute truth until I had my first-hand experience. The only girls in the lunchroom, about 15 of us, all crowded around one table while the boys inundated the rest of the area.

"Boys, stand up!" was bellowed by one of the faculty members.

I, naturally, followed instructions by remaining seated. Within a 3 second time span I realized that I was the only one of my friends continuing to sit, and my friend Ziwe quickly pulled me up by the arm. Once the prayer had been said and the signal to sit down was given, the girls began to laugh at me.

"Don't get used to being addressed around here... they still think they're an all boys school despite the 30 of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment