Tuesday, June 19, 2012

TLC Orphanage

THIS is the day I had been waiting for since I touched down in Johannesburg nearly 2 weeks ago. Anna and I were privileged enough to visit the TLC Orphanage just outside of the city area. What a pleasure! These kids ranged from 2 weeks to 4 years old, and were absolutely wonderful. The moment I stepped onto the premises I was sent straight to work. Some of my jobs included: folding laundry, doing dishes, changing diapers, feeding, and holding the little rascals that refused to sleep during nap-time. The day was full of smiles and headaches, but it did not take long for the sadness to set in once I finally left the orphanage. These poor kids, some unable to be cared for by their family members and some found at the doorstep of the orphanage, were helpless with their destinies. We luckily got to sit down with the owner of the orphanage during lunch to hear a little more about the process. Most, if not all, of the kids that get adopted from the agency are adopted when they are just babies. The group of older kids, all up to about 4 years old, usually have stuck around for so long because they are diagnosed with HIV and are unwanted by prospective adopting families. This day has really opened my eyes to a whole new part of the world... I don't think there is an orphanage within hundreds of miles from where I live. What precious children.

No comments:

Post a Comment