Thursday, June 7, 2012

Teacher/Student Respect

In my third day of classes I got my first experience with what class is really like once the elephant in the room, or the awkward exchange student, becomes more of a friendly face. When graded homework was cheerily handed back to the students by Mrs. T., Nyasha raised her hand after reading the corrections made on her paper.

"Ma'am," she politely began, "I'm not sure why you took off points here."

The teacher, as suddenly as the flip of a switch, turned red hot with anger. The tangent that followed was both horrifying and appalling. What little I forced myself to remember included some of the following:

"If you expect me to not take off points for your horrible English language you should be ashamed."
"If you never learn to speak and write English properly you may as well go to that corner right now and kill yourself because you will grow up to be nothing more than a worthless bum."
"You are lazy, sloppy, careless and an awful excuse for an educated human being."

How awful to watch my friend brake down in tears due to the heartless words of a professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment